Sunday, December 30, 2012

My Grandmother Was An Amazing Cook, But She Actually Always Bought These Cookies At Christmas, So I Had To Figure Out The Recipe On My Own - With Only The Tiniest Bit Of Inspiration From Martha Stewart


Finally - pictures of the cookies no one really likes.  Aren't they lovely?  And so low fat - just 2 tablespoons of butter in the whole batch.  Plus those 4 eggs.  Actually, I should just give my whole recipe - Beat the 4 eggs with an electric mixer for 1 minute and then add 2 tablespoons of soft butter and 2 teaspoons of Anise oil, (or if you can't find Anise oil, use Anise extract), and beat another minute.  Add 2 cups sugar and beat for 10 more minutes.  Mix in 4 cups flour mixed with 2 teaspoons baking powder - which will make such a thick dough that you might have to finish mixing by hand.  Chill at least 1 hour.  Roll out on a floured surface and and then use your decorative rolling pin to make the patterns.  Cut apart, place on parchment paper on a baking sheet and cover with a tea towel.  Let set overnight (if you want the pattern to be more defined), and then bake at 325 degrees for 15 to 17 minutes.  Because I like them a little browned.  Traditionally, they're baked a little less and are still totally white - but they're my cookies and since I am the only one who eats them, I make them how I like.  Come to think of it, if I just changed the flavoring to maybe Almond or Vanilla, they might be more popular - but Tradition is its own reward.  Good Times!

17 comments:

  1. They do LOOK delicious, at least!
    In reply to your comment, yes, Siena cake is also known as Panforte :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beryl, these are beautiful to look at! I was just thinking the same thing, about leaving out the unpopular flavouring. Mind, I don't own a decorative rolling pin, and their beautiful textures are obviously what make these traditional cookies. I might have a look around for such a rolling pin.

    I'm taking cornbread to the New Year's party tonight, something most British haven't experienced!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh My, that decorative rolling pin is The Business - much better than my cookie cutter collection! Don't like anise either, but vanilla would be appealing. Great recipe. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those cookies are quite pretty and I understand why you make them each year. Some traditions just are not to be broken! I imagine they keep for a long time? I don't own one of those rolling pins and probably won't look for one. I have reached my limit on kitchen gadgets/cooking equipment

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow those look amazing - I had no idea there was such a thing as a decorative rolling pin! Welcome back, and be glad you missed the several days of truly bone-chilling weather!
    -s

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just love the title of this post ; so funny ! These cookies look really good and I am crazy about aniseed so there's at least one person who would love them ! I wish you a very happy New Year; may all your wishes come true, Beryl !

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like anise so if I were around you would have to share those cookies :-)

    Darla

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Carolyn - I remember being enchanted with the different pictures on them as a child. And unlike the See's candies, there was always enough of these cookies to sample every kind.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Shelley - I smile just thinking about you introducing Corn Bread to the English. Putting in Jalapenos and cheese would probably push them over the edge!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Patricia - I do love that particular one, but I have other modern ones that I bought before I found this antique. At the Church rummage sale, for 75 cents. Good TImes!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Sanda - These cookies do indeed keep for a long time. The cute rolling pins is fun to own, but I have never been able to think of another use for it, so not that useful when you are limited in kitchen space. I keep mine in the kitchen in California, with the Pizzelle Iron, and the Spritz cookie press, so my main kitchen in Tulsa is not too cluttered.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Simone - It's nice to be back, but boy am I cold! It won't stay cold for long, if last Winter was typical. I am actually a little disappointed not to have gotten the promised snow for New Year's Eve.
    Right now I am trying to decide what to plan this year, so I don't miss any early produce.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi SB - Happy New Year to you too! I can't think of any French delicacies made by my Grandmother that were Anise flavored, but yo're close enough to Germany for these.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Darla - I would love to share those cookies with you - if you are near Berkeley next year (where my daughter lives), I could.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Last was winter was definitely not typical - not that there is any such thing as a typical OK winter. But you can plant garlic right now; traditionally it's planted on the shortest day of the year, but anytime in winter works. Last year I started planting lettuces and such in March, it was so mild, although most years I wait until April or even May if school is kicking my butt.
    -s

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Simone - Would love to have you on a pub quiz team with your wealth of knowledge! Good to know about the garlic. John wants to go to Ireland the end of March, so I can plant lettuce when we get back.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Those are amazing. You are so talented!

    ReplyDelete