Monday, September 3, 2012

Happy Labor Day! *Boredom Alert - Content May Put Non-Family To Sleep

My doctor guessed the days my sons would be born on.  This is more amazing if you realize that he didn't just use his doctor chart and give me that day.  My oldest was born on Memorial Day - that is the old date when we used to celebrate Memorial Day before we became focused on 3 day weekends and made all Memorial Days on Mondays.  With my daughter, (who was to be our third son, named Cameron, but decided to throw us a curve by being a girl) he mentioned Labor Day.  Good day for labor, don't you think?  (He laughed.)  When I checked the official charts for predicting the date of birth, I found he had added 10 days to that date.  But like I said, he was just guessing.  And he'd been my doctor for over 15 years, so we had a trust thing already.  And he'd been right on the date for the older two.  And doggone it, late on Labor Day, labor started.  What he hadn't known when he met me at the hospital, this wasn't going to be an eight hour labor (which has now been redefined as "short labor", having seemed very long compared to a mother who had all seven of her children in less than 16 hours total - the last two in half an hour from first tiny contraction to second twin emerging).  So Amanda was born two days later, on a day that will never be Labor Day as long as they insist on picking the day to insure that three day weekend.

4 comments:

  1. My little sister (50 weeks younger) was born on Memorial Day! I wonder if your doctor predicted these days as if he somehow knew he would be dragged away from whatever he had planned for the days off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Terri - I like how you think - this makes perfect sense and I didn't ever think of it before. Usually I'm the suspicious one.
    You do know that being born less than a week apart makes you two "Irish Twins", don't you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would that be May 30 or 31st? I can't remember when they didn't go with the Monday thing. My birthday is the 31st.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The reason I remember the original day is that my Grandfather's funeral was on May 31st - (your birthday, which makes you a Gemini - and explains a lot - like how one woman can have such diverse interests and areas of knowledge) - and every grave was already decorated from the day before. May 30th was called Decoration Day once.

    ReplyDelete