Sunday, September 9, 2012

My Mother's Email, Copia, And More Movie Discussion

My mother sent me this cute email, which would have been a comment, if she figured out how to comment.
I still don't know anything about blogging, but I discovered by reading yours that I lam not the only person who could live without reality TV.  I don't even know the names of most of them, but I did watch Dancing with the Stars for a while--until they seemed to forget or change the meaning of "star".     That's when I found out what a kardashian was.   It appears that Bruce Jenner was good at doing some things, but picking wives was not one of them---remember the first one.  I think she wrote a book, a real ego trip book.  Anyway, thanks for letting me know that there are other people out there who do not watch reality TV.  I have discovered a new PBS show that I like called A Taste of History.  The chef cooks in old iron pots hung in fireplaces and other such historical situations.  He is on just before the Julia Childs reruns.  I still regret not making it to her 90th birthday party at Copia, but I'll settle for making it to my own.  I am beginning to understand my sister's addiction to qvc.  She likes to have it on because everyone is always happy and upbeat because they are selling things that everyone will want.  I am always happy when I watch it because I discover a lot of really great things that I CAN live without.  Enough rambling. I have to go find my cat and assure her that the Air Show at Mather will not last forever and the planes are not going to actually enter the house.

Most of this is self-explanatory, but Mather is an active Air Force base about a mile from her house.  Copia is a place I've been meaning to write about - a magical place that is now gone.  A celebration of food and wine, located in Napa - nonprofit, and my mother was a founding member.  (Meaning that she sent her check for a senior membership before they even opened their doors.)  That's where they invited that Blogger Julie from the movie to go.  Pretty funny if both my mother and she showed up at the same place.  And yes, using the "F word" to describe cooking from her book would have upset Julia Child - heck, it even upsets me just imagining it. 

8 comments:

  1. At least your mother reads your blog! Mine doesn't and really cannot even email. She thinks people who spend time on computers are crazy. Ah the difference in the generations! I am not much for texting, so I guess others could probably think I am a luddite too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom occasionally comments on my blog...although her comment comes up as "Anonymous". Isn't it great that you and Debbie and I al still have our moms?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Mum is brilliant - so bright and switched on, and reading your blog! My parents never embraced the computer age - more's the pity as I'm sure they could have enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Debbi - I just started texting when I realized that my oldest son is much easier to reach that way. and now I actually like it. It's like a phone call you can answer at your own speed - and you have a record of what you text. So you can find addresses and dates that you might have forgotten.
    I like my computer, but sometimes I think the Luddites were right. Might not be so many unemployed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Terri - I thought I read all the comments, but don't remember any signed "Mom" - You are right about how lucky we are.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Patricia - We are in agreement that my mum is brilliant! And just by reading your writing, I get the sense of a progressive gene - which must have come from your parents!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Beryl,
    I love it when you share your mother's comments. She sounds like an interesting lady I would love to know. And thanks to Debbie, I have learned a new word: Luddite (I googled it!) Thanks, Debbie!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Sanda - I love Debbi's writing style. She is very knowledgeable on so many subjects, that I often find myself learning something new from her.

    ReplyDelete