Saturday, February 18, 2012

I Wish I'd Said That - And Where Do I Go To Join



When I am an old woman I shall wear purple.

With a red hat which doesn't go, and doesn't suit me.
Jenny Joseph



Anyone who know me, knows my distrust of Internet searches and Wikipedia. If I want to know something, I go to the library and look it up in an Encyclopedia (singing the Encyclopedia Song as I spell the word). But I must admit to looking up the Red Hat Society on Google since I was only slight fuzzy on its history. I knew that it was inspired by a brilliant J. Joseph poem and that it started out in Fullerton, California, the city where I was born. Wikipedia says Sue Ellen Cooper was the founder. Who am I to argue? It says anyone over 50 could join. So I am qualified agewise. What I couldn't find was where to go to join them. I hope I don't get unqualified for the fact that my Red Hat most certainly does suit me - it being an old Beret and me having been raised by a French mother.

6 comments:

  1. I'm old enough to join too and every year the red hat ladies in my community sponsor a float or two in the county fair parade. Can't help you with tracking down a group in Tulsa, but methinks the red beret is much too sedate, though it looks great on you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks as though you have to join on the official website before they give you full access to the groups, but there definitely is a chapter in Tulsa, called "Dapper Dames". My Aunt Rita was a member of Red Hats in OKC and she loved it - got her out of the house for lunches and gave her an excuse to wear outlandish hats! I agree, the red hat definitely suits you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beryl! I'm totally feeling your red beret....or is it a raspberry beret via Prince?! LOL It just suits you so well! Hugs! ~Serene

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look marvelous in that hat, Beryl! You capture the spirit of the poem perfectly (even though the hat suits you).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do love your red beret! You should wear it often and please report back to us about your experience with the Red Hat Society. As for me, I enjoy wearing purple!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all for the compliments on the hat. I found it after seeing Anne's closet pictures and straightening up mine for a picture to send. And I always loved that poem. I thought it was older than it is (1960's.)

    ReplyDelete