Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Reasonable Speed Limits and Being Late



Water Aerobics was cancelled this morning due to lightning. You know how the covered slide into the pool protrudes from the building, a perfect target for lightning to strike, turning the pool into a jumbo lobster pot. I didn't find out it was cancelled until I got to the Y, perfectly on time. I note, perfectly on time, because I hate the first 10 minutes of class, when we just walk back and forth in the pool, sometimes forward, sometimes sideways, so I try to get into the pool just after this activity ends. At this point, I have so many friends in the pool it's become a distraction to the class, as everyone wants to stop and say "Hi!' and critique my peculiar method of entering the pool. Like most Leos, I am not the biggest fan of getting wet - being wet is fine, it's just the process that I don't enjoy. If the water is even the tiniest bit cold, I won't get in the pool, so I have to just jump in and get 100% wet before anyone has a chance to warn me. My point, and I do have one, is that being there before class starts has become a priority. Which brings me to Speed Limits - actually it brings me to my first months in Seattle, where I had a difficult time getting places on time. So I investigated the possible reasons for excess tardiness. Resentment - nope, I was late for stuff I was excited about; control - nope, I am a follower, generally don't need control, since I have just as much fun when someone else chooses what we do; center-of-attentionism (for lack of a better word) - nope, please just let me sneak in unnoticed. My research was pretty much exhausted at this point, since this was pre Internet and I couldn't access all the nutjob theories that abound on almost every subject today. With no other options, I did what any rational person would do - I started timing how long it took me to get places. Anyone who know me, knows that when I say I'm a follower, that includes rules and laws, including the Speed Limits. I grew up with the freeways of California and had never made the necessary correction for the 25 to 30 mph Speed Limit of Seattle. I either had to start speeding or allow more time to get places. Problem solved. Now in Tulsa, the Speed Limits make driving in Seattle seem like riding in a golf cart.

6 comments:

  1. Wow, I never would have thought of an outdoor slide turning the pool electric, what a thought!! I sure hope you got to do a make-up class for the one they cancelled!
    Thank you so much for your kind comment on my skirt too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beryl, I'm so pleased to see that you and Carolyn have 'met'! Your story about being on time / early reminded me of Jane's friend, I'll call her Katie. Apparently there are three friends who all use the same personal trainer - at different times - every couple of weeks at their gym. Katie hates exercise, she won't even go for a walk, and so she routinely takes the long way to the gym and shows up late for the appointment. It's her way of getting out of a bit of exercise she doesn't want to do anyhow. Aren't we humans the funniest species ever?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That makes me crazy...just typed a huge response to have it blank and lose it. ARGGHH!

    I'm an early person. Early to every appointment and a stickler for rules and speed limits! Imagine my surprise when the 2nd daughter messed me up. She is NEVER on time and found out it is a inherited thing from The Hubby's side of the family. They can't be on time to anything if their life depended on it. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Carolyn! I have read your blog for years and was trying to remember if I'd ever commented before. I used to sew all my children's things, too. (Your week trek with your husband is so amazing, by the bye.) But if you get a chance to watch Carol Burnett's Curtain Dress skit, you will see why I couldn't resist this time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Shelley - I hope Katie's trainer understands what's going on. He probably cuts out all the little breaks and works her just as hard as her friends. I should write about how annoying it is to have people who are cronically early, too. 45 minutes before a party is way to early to show up at my house - I'm not dressed. Unless you're female and can help me decide what to wear. Then I'm happy to see you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi "Jill" - I just found this comment in the blogger spam folder. Isn't that odd? It's nice to find another rules person. When I would drive on field trips. we would always be the last ones to get anywhere, because I wouldn't speed. It got to be a joke, so I started finding the most unusual shortcuts. This worked in the maze that is Seattle, but in Tulsa, everything is so straight. I just love it!

    ReplyDelete