Thursday, February 27, 2014

Are You A Morning Person?

Anyone who know me knows that I am not a morning person.  And they also know that I am a sucker for small furry faces.  So when my son's dogs decided that they would like to go out for a walk this morning at 6 am, out we went.  We ran into this juicy looking brown snail, which my French grandfather, Emile, would have deemed delicious.  But we let it live to slime another day.  (After giving it a really good sniff, of course.)
 It was already light out, which you early risers would know, but I never count on daylight until at least 7 am.
 And I actually figured out how to use the Fitbit, fitness tracker - which shows my half mile dog walk at 6 this morning, including the two minutes we ran just for fun.  Good Times!
 
For fun, here are a few of the exotic items for sale across the street at the H-Mart, a huge Korean grocery store that is part of a chain.
 Prices range from unbelievably high to incredibly low - and come early for the best produce.  I snagged this enormous English style cucumber on sale for 49 cents! 
 But would have had to pay around $15 for this bag of Perilla seeds, which are used in Korean cooking.  I might buy these next time. 
 This is the frozen bulk foods section, with Fish Balls, Tiny Korean Sausages, and some other oddities - scoop just what you want into a bag.
 Hard to tell how shiny and blue these Crabs were - and how live!

 Juice Boxes and Pannetone, left over from Christmas, I assume, since who thinks to pick up their Panetone at the Korean grocers.



 And there's a sale on Duck Eggs.

14 comments:

  1. those cucumbers are on sale here for $1.75!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi FF - I have paid over $3 a piece for them before, when I made the mistake of promising Cucumber Sandwiches without checking Cucumber prices ahead of time.

      Delete
  2. Duck eggs make the best sponge cakes! I'm becoming more of a morning person as the years go by, and can't sleep much past 6.00 am. Gone are the days when I saw midnight 3-4 nights a week....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Patricia - I wonder if the yolks being so much more yellow would be a factor? I can still stay up to midnight consistently, but if I couldn't sleep past 6 am, that would change fast.

      Delete
  3. An interesting array of food. I've never heard of perilla. I wake up way too early - sometimes before 5 am. When I was working I didn't want to get up mornings at 5. Now that I can, I don't. Makes no difference if I go to bed at 10 or midnight; always wake up early. In which case I have an afternoon nap. But I do enjoy the sunrise each morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sanda - Not sure if I have ever actually tasted perilla, but I am a fan of most all seeds, so I'll try it eventually.
      I Love Naps!

      Delete
  4. I'm neither a morning or an evening person; maybe I'm just really awake in the middle of the day!! That looks like a very interesting grocery store, unusual stuff!
    I'm sitting here waiting for my daughter to finish gym trying to catch up on the many, many posts of yours I've missed. I'll have a good catch up when I get home but I did just notice the engagement post - super news, congratulations to all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jay - Thanks! I have had zero success with my attempt to increase my height, but the wedding is over a year away, so I am still working at it. So glad you got back from your vacation in mostly one piece!

      Delete
  5. I am so not a morning person - I look and feel dreadful well until 11am - even though I've tried and tried to reverse the tide. Funnily enough we've got a dog who likes to snooze in too- on the weekends he will stay in his crate until 9.30! We're slobs over this way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jody - I have heard that Maltese are especially good dogs for people who like to sleep late. I think that is the best criteria for picking a pet. But my husband is an early morning person, so he would be dragging the poor dog out for a 5 am walk. My son's dogs are Yorkie/Maltese mix (Morkies) and pretty perfect.

      Delete
  6. Hang on, I'm confused. Are you in CA or OK? I'll be so amazed if you tell me there is a Korean supermarket in OK. I do love exotic shopping - widens my world and sometimes I discover something delicious! That cuke reminds me I'd better get some lettuce planted - summer salads coming around the corner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shelley - I love that we are on the same page on this! I am in Southern California for a few weeks while John travels. And back home there are still no decent Korean markets or Thai food - or Indian food, or - well you know what I'm saying. I have to be back to start planting my garden plots soon too. But before I leave California, I need to have some really good yoghurt - Pink Berry, maybe. And shop at Trader Joe's. So funny - when I'm here I miss Aldi's, and when I'm home, I miss Trader Joe's.

      Delete
  7. Glad Shelly asked where you were, I was thinking OK looked an awful lot like CA. I do enjoy all our ethnic markets and food choices. Like Trader Joe's as well although I'm kind of faithful to the Berkeley Bowl since it isn't a chain. Snails? I'll pass. I have tried them but would just as soon have the garlic butter without the snail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Darla - I'll have to ask my daughter about the Berkeley Bowl while she is living there. (I suspect that when her husband finishes with his Geology studies, they will relocate to someplace with a few more oil companies. Like Tulsa?) I absolutely agree with you about snails. I love the sauce the best. It's really great on mushrooms. But then, those snails would be free.
      And another place that looks a lot like California would be Perth, Australia.

      Delete