Friday, February 7, 2014

One Of Those Days - But I'm Not Blaming Target For It (I'm Blaming Neimans, Since It's A Much Classier Store And They Had Their Customers' Credit Card Numbers Hacked Too)


I will be surprised if you can possibly read this, but just let me say it is a screen shot of my bank's website showing that my debit card has been used during the two hours I was in the pool yesterday.  It started in Istanbul and continued to New York; New Jersey; Benedict, Kansas; and Mountain View, California - all without leaving my purse.  It might not be the correct term, but I'm thinking it was "hacked".  And although no one knows better than my bank what a cosmopolitan life I live, it agreed that these charges appear to have been made fraudulently.  So they deactivated my Debit Card and arranged for me to get a new one.  Will this all be straightened out in time to purchase my San Diego Comic-Con tickets this Saturday morning?  Will I miss the biggest Nerd-a-poolooza of the year?  How can one woman live such an exciting life? 

Last Summer in California I tried to start my son's car and found that the battery had died - on the 4th floor of a parking garage.  Not a problem since I have a AAA card, that roadside insurance company that rushes to your location and rescues you.  I didn't have my new Oklahoma card on me, but still had one from Seattle and with my unusual name, I'm easy to find on any list.  But they could not find my name and so I sat around while they looked and looked.  Finally they discovered the problem - my new Oklahoma AAA card had a semi-colon(;) instead of the "L" in my last name.  My point, and I do have one, is that things that never happen to anyone else happen to me.  And when my new card came this year, I saw that they had responded to my complaint about them leaving the "L" out of my last name.  Note in the picture that the "L" is there now, along with that semi-colon.  

8 comments:

  1. Oh no! But at least the fraud has been caught, if not the criminal. You do lead an exciting life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sanda - Funny thing is that the retailer in Kansas wasn't fooled and when they refused the charge, whoever was using my number stopped - or there could have been lots more charges.

      Delete
  2. So will this person have used this to buy things on the internet? Or have they been in all those places? Or did they share the number with people in all those places? I've had the odd thing come up on my credit card before, but never with my debit card. I gather debit cards work differently here in the UK than in the US, but I'm not sure how. How fortunate that the companies are prepared to cancel this sort of debt; imagine how awful if they did not! I suppose no one would have their cards, would they? As to the semi-colon thing, I have had my surname (all three of them) misspelled so many times it's ridiculous. I do wonder at the literacy of some employees. Hope you get your tickets in time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good grief! Sorry to hear about the debit card but glad the problem seems to be under control. And a semi color STILL as part of your name. Interesting, you'd that that is one somebody would catch since is wouldn't appear in any name that I can think of. Glad you weren't stuck on the 4th floor for days.

    Darla

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh that is awful Beryl, wow those people worked quickly and most of the charges are for places and businesses that I've never heard of. Isn't it ridiculous; how much hassle and time wasting an errant semi colon can cost?

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is really scary Beryl. It thought it only happened if somebody actually physically stole your credit card, and there it was in your handbag the whole time! I am so glad your Bank got onto it and saved the situation quickly. The semi-colon thing is funny, but it's part of this crazy computer world we now inhabit!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Beryl that's so annoying, I hope the bank sort things out quickly for you. And you're the first person I know who has a punctuation mark in their name!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is so frustraitng and annoying, I sure hope it gets sorted out for you quickly :)

    ReplyDelete