Monday, February 3, 2014

Cool Beauty Stuff And A History From My Mother

 One of the fun things about going along on a business trip where you aren't actually the one doing any business, is entertaining yourself in a strange city.  Even if you sometimes entertain yourself by spending a couple hours in a store you could have shopped in back home.  I found this little pink scrubbie thing at Sephora - and it is amazing.  In a test against my Clarisonic, this one won.  It got more make up out of the pores and my face felt softer afterwards.  And it was only $6 - instead of spending $20 every other month for a new Clarisonic brush.

 On while on the subject of softer skin, I was ambushed by the "oil lady" immediately upon entering the store.  She spread drops of 7 different brands of oil on my hands and arms.  All felt nice, but none of them wowed me.  But the next morning, I had this one very soft patch of skin on my left hand.  (I mean very soft.)  So I stopped back in Sephora and rubbed a little more of this one particular oil and a few hours later asked John if he could figure out where.  And he could!  So I have added Ole Henriksen Oil to my wish list for Valentine's Day.  Not that I couldn't afford to buy it for myself, but my local Sephora is too small to carry it, so I have to hint to have it brought back when John goes out of town next.   

My mother emails me her comments and lets me post them for her.  After all the talk about the days of elegant shopping, she put together her little history of Southern California's upscale retail:

Each little town had a major department store--Rankin's in Santa Ana, SQR Store in Anaheim, etc.  The sales ladies (my spellcheck won't let me make that one word, which it was in those days). They all wore black dresses and didn't handle the money.  They wrote a sales slip and put it and your money or charge card in a little capsule and sent it on  an apparatus up to the mezzanine, where the offices were.  There somebody made the change and sent the slip back.  Then, most small towns had a Penney's and a Kress or Woolworth.  (J. C. Penney himself had a house on Balboa Island.).   If my ninety-year old brain is still functioning, they had four big stores in Los Angeles, because it had almost two million people.  There was J.J.Haggarty, J. W. Robinson, I. Magnin, and Bullocks.    Then there were two less elegant ones called The May Company and The Broadway Department Store.   I don't remember when the malls started, but the Broadway was one of the first to get into the malls.   I remember when Haggarty and Magnin had their close out sales.   Robinson and Bullock's were still at Fashion Island in the Newport area when I was sixty. 
Norman Marcus and Buffum's (the Long Beach elegant store) were there, too.   It must have been in the nineties that Robinson and May combined.  I was so disappointed.  It's like getting a wonderful croissant and putting a weenie and mustard on it.   I cut up my Robinson charge card.   The May Company was okay if you needed to pick up some towels or something, but it just was not in the same class as Robinson's.   Looking back, I see my spellcheck changed the name of that Texas store, so I guess it is time for me to quit reminiscing.  Maman


Next time any of us want to skip our workout, think about how sharp my mother still is at 90+, which might just have been helped by her regular exercise.

17 comments:

  1. That is interesting in the Sponge Vs Clarisonic. I use mine (Clarisonic) so much it actually stopped after a year and i had to get another. One friend told me i should not be using it everyday, but i whirr away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jody - I absolutely used the Clarisonic everyday. My skin can get dry and it helps with all the flaking. But in a magnifying mirror, I see less dry flakes and better makeup removal with this little rubber nubby thing. I know I can use it for a lot longer with zero skin irritation.

      Delete
  2. Love reading about your mum!
    I've been using argan oil every day as my moisturizer and it's magic. Never thought I'd be slathering oil on my face, but then I never expected to get old, so there you go!
    -s

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Simone - To me you are youth incarnate! I love argan oil for my hair, but haven't used it on my face. I'll look for some - does it smell as good as the hair stuff?

      Delete
    2. I use the Josie Maran stuff and it has a very light scent, nothing added. I don't like anything perfumed (and my skin won't accept it anyway), and this just smells natural.

      Delete
    3. Thanks for the brand - I'll go look for it.

      Delete
  3. Beryl, I've added you to my blog roll. Pepare to be inundated by Australians. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi FF - I am so flattered and flummoxed - you have the best blog in the world and I have frivolous ramblings. This is so cool!

      Delete
  4. Your mother is just brilliant Beryl! Not only an athlete, but very savvy with the email too. I like the look of that little brush, and the oil sounds very good indeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Patricia - I always figured all oils were equal and if I was to use oil on my face, I just use the olive oil I use for all my cooking. Boy was I wrong!

      Delete
  5. I am a believer in oils. Use Clarins Blue Orchid 2-3 times each week on face at bedtime. Softness! And love the smell of it. I have a clarisonic and used awhile but hav
    E gotten away from it. Your new gadget from sephora is interesting! Loved your mother's comments!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sanda - Every single picture of you shows such beautiful skin that I should try that Blue Orchid.

      Delete
  6. Enjoyed your mother's comments. They brought back some memories. I'd forgotten about Magnins. My favorite store in S.F. in those days was City of Paris. I think those of us who had those shopping experiences have a really hard time with big box stores. Younger people who know no different don't seem to mind shopping for clothes with a GROCERY CART.

    Darla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Darla - Oh my gosh, I wrote about how wrong it is to get your bras in a place with shopping carts and hoped there were people who agreed with me!
      I loved City of Paris. I was telling Amanda about it just the other day. Doesn't Neiman Marcus have the glass dome still? I took Amanda to tea at Neiman under that dome when she was a teenager. These adorable guys at the next table bought us glasses of Champagne. Good Times!

      Delete
  7. I remember John A. Browns department store in Oklahoma City, sort of like Nordstrom's I think. Grandmother put on her suit, her heels and gloves to shop there. They used those capsule things, too, that whizzed away somewhere and came back with change. Makes me feel old to realize how long ago the 1960s happened.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shelley - Heck, we're old to remember cassette tapes! At one point, an inventor proposed using the same pneumatic system used in stores for the subways in New York. I think they actually had a very short working test model.

      Delete
  8. You look fantastic.I was searching for fashion blog and came across your website.Please visit my website www.shoedaca.com .We are famous for our huge collection of salt water sandals.We are an authorized retailer of Hoy Shoes!!!!!Have you tried one?I am sure you won't be disappointed.

    ReplyDelete