Saturday, July 7, 2012

I've Said It Before And I'll Say It Again, Oklahoma Is Like A Different Planet To Me - Not That I'm Complaining, Of Course!

Day 500 of the 5 year mission to the planet, Oklahoma.  As often happens when the planet is nearest its Sun, (what in the West we would call Summer, but seems too tame a term for this oven-like heat),  the atmosphere, while still breathable, is of a soup like consistency.  This picture shows the incomprehensible and illogical rain, that by afternoon has turned to steam as the sun beats on the deck at the back of our dwelling.  Is it this alien weather that produces the flavors of the "fruits" if you will, (for the taste is so sublime as to not even resemble the fruits of other regions), that just yesterday I was baking into cobbler?   

6 comments:

  1. Oh, I am happy for you that you got rain, but unfortunately, it will be unbearably humid tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, yes, the summer rains - short-term relief, followed by even more humidity! Sometimes I wonder why I live in the tropics. We don't even grow those lovely peaches you have me drooling over!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sanda - Is that how it works? I went out early this morning to go to the gym and almost fell over from the unexpected heat. I should have read this first! Thansk!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Patricia - If I could find a way to freeze them without wrecking them, I would mail you some Okra and Oklahoma Peaches. I think it's how amazing the sun is in the tropics that makes it worth while. I lived without sun for decades in Seattle, and much prefer this, even with the heat and humidity.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I suspect that the sun does indeed have something to do with those peaches. and the tomatoes. and the okra.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Terri - I know that without Sun, (in Seatte), growing Okra or Peaches was not working. There were different strains of Tomatoes for the grey weather, but they never tasted as fabulous of the ones in Oklahoma!

    ReplyDelete