Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Rural Pictures I Like, But Really Don't Have Anything Interesting To Write About


Driving back from Kansas, we whizzed by lots of things I would have loved to have had pictures of - ponds and cows, old towns with odd little gas stations, and these amazing power plants.  I couldn't believe that coal was still being used to generate electricity, but you can see the conveyor belts used to take it up into the plants.  What I didn't get a picture of was a small lake overhung with a pulley system that was used to pull water skiers around, boatless.  I'll be back driving up 169 in the next 6 weeks or so, and get a picture to post then.  But I did manage to get a picture of the Kansas state highway sign featuring the state flower, the Sunflower, surrounding the Highway number.  (279)
OK, this is almost too boring to post!  Maybe I can add my Birthday Want List to bring some spice to it.  I want a better camera and a real laptop.  Currently I use an old net book with no sound.  I want a nice camera that takes pictures really fast, so I have lots to pick from.  (And don't have to use ones that make me look my age.)  The Chanel Summer nail colors, with lipsticks to match.  A white Gypsy Skirt.  Dinner in Dallas.    

7 comments:

  1. That pulley system is pretty close to home for us. It's a place where extreme skiers and waterboarders learn their tricks. I'll put you on the calendar for 6 weeks from now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Terri - I thought it was the weirdest thing I had ever seen, and I just couldn't get a picture of it. Looked like it worked really well. I hope there is a hill I can drive up that gives a good view of it.
    We'll probably be back sometime in early August. Maybe I'll get a new camera for my birthday by then!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always imagine Kansas looks black and white, as I've only seen it in the Wizard of Oz! But there's plenty of green there.
    Look forward to the next round of rural photos. Hope you get the new camera, tho there's nothing wrong with your photos now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you can get a picture of the sunflower fields. I drove through Kansas one year and was amazed at the miles and miles of those beautiful things! I hope you get everything on your wish list for your birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Patricia - This time of year, it's green. I think it gets pretty black and white in the winter. We'll see. My camera is pretty nice, but sometimes things I want to take pictures of can fly away before my camera finishes taking the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sanda - I am going hunting for Sunflower fields when it's the right season. Like in Seattle, when we drove to the Tulip fields on one particular weekend every year when they were in bloom.
    Part of my birthday list is inspired by you. I have been looking for that perfect white Summer skirt ever since I saw yours.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beryl, I hope you find a skirt. Got mine at Macy's.

    ReplyDelete