Friday, July 13, 2012

New Watch And Radio Shack To The Rescue



I found a nice Seiko watch at my Goodwill for $2.  Of course it needed a battery, but usually it would have been more than $2, even needing a battery, so I was a little curious about how easy it was going to be to get a battery.  (Seiko is a brand that Goodwill Stores in Oklahoma are familiar with - someday I will give out a list of the brand that Goodwill doesn't recognize as valuable.)  (Like Eileen Fisher, Babette of San Francisco, Misook, and Escada, which will be cheaper than most Miley Cyrus or Target brand.)  I struck out at CVS, where I went first since I had a coupon to use.  I ran over to one of my favorite stores, The Radio Shack in Owasso, Oklahoma.  That's a picture of Superclerk Mike who took less than 2 sec (no kidding, I was timing him) to hand me the exact battery I needed.  And for much less than $10 total, I have a beautiful, working Seiko watch!
I have always had a soft spot for Radio Shack, thinking that when I could afford it, I would build my own amp, turn table, computer, radio, or radio controlled B17.  Did I mention that I started having these dreams before I was even a teenager?  Maybe now that I'm retired, I should build that motorized car?

8 comments:

  1. What a deal on the watch. Well done! Now that I have time, I must start checking out Goodwill and Salvation Army stores!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A Very Chic Watch, and a brilliant deal. I love bargain hunting in the charity stores.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Seiko watches. I've owned two.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sanda! Thanks for reminding me of the Salvation Army stores. I haven't even looked for them in Tulsa. They were always my parents' favorite charity.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Patricia! What's bargain hunting like where you live? Of the books and blogs I read from your part of the world, I don't see much being purchased from Charity Shops - but I have always thought it might be a question of not knowing the slang expression for Charity Shop. I get the feeling that Coles is like Target, but what is like our Goodwill Stores?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Carla! The last time I owned a Seiko watch was before my kids were born. And I loved it, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hm, I'm wondering where my closest Radio Shack might be now...but will keep it in mind for the next watch battery.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Terri - I can't imagine any other place being quicker at finding watch batteries. But it's the romance of all the creative options that gets to me.

    ReplyDelete