Sunday, October 23, 2011

Suzie Homemaker - She Cooks But Doesn't Clean (Much) (Or Very Well)

























I am so good at so many things, that it is important that people get to hear me sing and see the poor quality results of my best efforts at housecleaning. Otherwise, I would have no friends at all. But I had the best luck making this spinach pasta. It had the most perfect elasticity, as you can see by the yards of pasta that my sister is holding right out of the pasta machine. We turned it into Lasagna with all the leftover sausage and sauce from making Ravioli the day before. I steamed 2 pounds of spinach and squeezed it dry (save the water) and pureed it. I put it in the food processor, on top of 2 cups of all purpose flour and 1 cup semolina flour. Added 2 eggs and 1 tablespoon olive oil. Processed it while adding 2 tablespoons of the water from cooking the spinach. Might need more water, just process while adding more of the cooking water until it becomes dough.


My sister Lynne is an amazing thrift shopper. She got this Ravioli attachment for $3. It was so much fun to use. We had some leftover dough from the whole wheat pasta that she made the day before and was going to just throw away, since it was very uncooperative. What a difference a night in the refrigerator can make. Today it made wonderful ravioli. As I do, she grinds her own whole wheat flour. That way it is always fresh and nutritious. She took hard white wheat and ground it fine, added 1 cup semolina flour and 1 cup all purpose flour to 2 cups of the fresh ground whole wheat flour. Added 3 eggs, 2 tablespoons olive oil, and about 1/4 cup water and processed until it formed a ball. Actually did this in an electric stand mixer, since it is such a big batch and such a heavy dough. Kneaded it just a little and put it away for the next day.


Good times!

No comments:

Post a Comment