Tuesday, March 6, 2012

My Basil Is Growing - Pesto In The Future





Every year in Seattle, I would try to grow Basil, since fresh Pesto is one of the best things in the world. Only once did it work. I made as much Pesto as I could and froze it in Tupperware Midgets, those little tiny containers that held just enough Pesto for two serving.
Pesto Recipe - 2 parts Fresh Basil, 1 part Pine Nuts, 1 part Grated Romano Pecorino Cheese, 1 part Olive Oil, , Minced Garlic (estimate 2 Cloves per cup of Basil)

This year, just before leaving Tulsa, I stuck a bunch of seeds in containers, put on greenhouse lids, and added water. John sent me this picture less than a week later. It would seem Tulsa is great for plants - herbs, at least. Every seed had sprouted. Yeah!

My lovely friend Shane sent me an interesting recipe, which is Pesto made out of Jalapeño Peppers. It has Almonds instead of Pine Nuts and no cheese. I'll let you know how it turns out.

6 comments:

  1. I really want to try this....I LOVE pesto! I've been wanting to grow an herb garden for a while now...may have to try to do that on our balcony! Thanks for the inspiration! Hugs! ~Serene

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are renters, too - so that where all my plants are going. I think I might put one of those plastic shelves up, so I can plant a few more things. Hope you do another little video someday. Yours was the only one I have ever been able to get to play for me and it was very fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love pesto. I grow tons of basil and freeze it like you for later use. I have an out of this world recipe for a basil vinaigrette dressing for greens. Will send if you'd like it. Looks as if you'll be needing lots of recipes for your sprouted basil. Congratulations! And it smells so good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Sanda - I would love that recipe. So you freeze the fresh Basil? I never thought of freezing just the herb.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beryl, no, I mean that I freeze the pesto. BUT you can freeze fresh basil by adding a bit of olive oil and whirring it in the blender. Also, if you want the basil vinaigrette dressing I can get that for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sanda - Yes, please, I would love that recipe. I'll bet it would be lovely on fresh tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete