Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Let Them Eat Cake

When I was in my late twenties, I made a birthday cake for my very disciplined, (and not in the nasty way you are thinking), soon to be husband. It was a terrific cake, but it was his cake and as he ate just one piece a night, an amazing thing happened. It started to grow mold. This was a complete surprise to me. I thought it was a factor of the high sugar content that kept cake from molding - rather like Lifesaver candy. But the reality was that I had two older brothers and two younger brothers, all of whom grew to well over 6 feet tall, who devoured every cake I ever made within 2 hours. When I was no longer living in the same state as they were, I had an open door policy to all my friends to come and eat whenever I cooked. So, as a true adult, I now know that cake will mold, lasagna will mold, and banana bread will mold - but it's a sadder world when you let that happen. - You do know that old Marie Antoinette got a bad rap for that let them eat cake comment. She wasn't that removed from reality. She just didn't care. (It's a remark that lost a lot in the translation.)
And on the subject of Banana Bread-type stuff, tonight at Stamp Club, the hostess (we all take turns) brought three different homemade quiches for dinner, with cold Chai tea with milk, (ever thought of chilling a Chai Latte?), and terrific banana muffins. Yep, you guessed it, the muffins were from the bakery at one of the larger Walmarts in Tulsa. It's just one surprise after another living here.

2 comments:

  1. I'm actually not a big sweets eater....but if there's a pizza around? I can assure you that it wouldn't even stand a CHANCE of getting moldy! Hugs to you! ~Serene

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Serene, with your sons around, you probably don't even have pizza get cold!

    ReplyDelete